Friday, August 27, 2010

Still Life 154/365

This was a two hour exercise to learn and experiment.  I setup a sweep then photographed the same subject using between 1 and 3 speedlights.  I wasn’t overly fond of anything where I used 1 light.  It’s not that I disliked them, I simply liked the shots with 2 or 3 lights better.  A key contributor was that I setup in a room with little natural light and a single ceiling fixture which I kept turned off.  I used an assortment of light modifiers including a grid, snoot, defuser cap, defuser gel, umbrella, and wax paper.  Here I selected just one of the shots I liked and if you’re interested there are others here.  What will I do differently the next time?  I’ll change the setup so I have options on how close the subject is to the background.  That should give me more options for managing shadows.

BTW - There was no post processing done one any of the shots.

1 comment:

  1. Great experimentation! I like this shot... and your persistence to capture it!

    ReplyDelete