Sunday, February 28, 2010
Saturday, February 27, 2010
Friday, February 26, 2010
What a year its been!!! Some random thoughts in no particular order:
- Overall, I’m thrilled to have taken on this challenge and ecstatic over the fact that I completed it. It’s an accomplishment I’m proud of.
- Inspiration – Some day’s its soooooo difficult to find. It tends to come in spurts and you need to find it wherever you can. Some of my best inspiration and ideas came from my wife (Day 348), (Day 234), (Day 221), and (Day149) just to list a few of them. She deserves a massive thank you for her support, encouragement, and patience. Thank you Ana!
- It hasn’t always been easy, or fun, and there were times when I seriously contemplated just giving up (day 248). Getting past that was very hard. It was a costly mistake with the camera repair, replacement tripod, and filter. Enough for pocket wizards and then some.
- This is a time intensive, serious commitment. I didn’t know what I was getting into when I embarked upon the initiative, but I have only 1 regret – see day 248 above….
- Support and encouragement – This comes from many sources but my virtual community has been so important. Your comments, suggestions, and help have boosted my confidence, provided tutelage, inspiration, and a host of ideas. So thank you Alan, Lance, Tim, and so many others. Special thanks to my daughter Emily for allowing me to reuse her work and being my number 1 visitor.
- I feel that I am a better photographer then when I started.
- I’ve learned some lighting techniques and have come to really enjoy off camera lighting. I recognize the need to learn more techniques and approaches. I tend to repeat my approaches.
- Technique is more important than equipment. 85% of this is technique and 15% is equipment.
- Visit the DIY Photography and The Strobist sites regularly as they are an excellent source.
- I enjoy Photography 100 times more than Photoshop but you need some level of skill in Photoshop.
- I wish I had a studio, even a small quasi one because constructing and dismantling your setups on a daily basis is de-motivating.
For tomorrow, I want to do a personal “best of“ series by month. I’ll pick 1 photo from each month and repost it.
Beyond that… I will continue and commit to another year. My primary goal is to do more with off camera flash and multiple units. I have the radio triggers, the speedlights, the light stand, and an assortment of other gadgets so why not put them to use. I fear that if I don’t continue all of these will simply collect dust. I’d like to get a softbox and other light modifiers so please make some recommendations.
Thursday, February 25, 2010
More snow!!! I’m on the cusp of the 5-8 inches (13-20cm) and 8-12 inches (20-30cm). I’m hoping for less snow. It rained all day but has since changed over to snow. A good deal of the old snow was washed away today.
I can’t believe I completed the year. Tomorrow I plan to share some thoughts on my 365 experience.
Wednesday, February 24, 2010
Tuesday, February 23, 2010
To be young, innocent, and carefree. I had an opportunity for a tranquil moment to sit on the beach and watch this young boy chase the birds, collect shells, and skim rocks over the waves. It was 72 degrees (23C) with broken clouds but I had to go back to work…
Monday, February 22, 2010
Sunday, February 21, 2010
Saturday, February 20, 2010
This juvenile was feasting in my backyard this afternoon. Bird – It’s what’s for dinner.
I was not happy with today’s pictures because any shaded snow came out blue again. This is the second time I’ve had this white balance issue and I’m not sure what’s causing it. It’s frustrating as hell.
Friday, February 19, 2010
Thursday, February 18, 2010
It’s 9:30pm, I’ve yet to pickup my camera and I have no clue what to post. Doing what all 365’ers do, I wondered aimlessly around the house looking for something, anything. Finally, I stumble upon a piece of Lenox and figure out a creative way to light it so that its more than a snapshot….
Wednesday, February 17, 2010
Tuesday, February 16, 2010
Monday, February 15, 2010
Sunday, February 14, 2010
These are hanging along side my front porch. To capture the shot I hung the rose gelled flash from the soffit using Christmas light hangers and rubber bands. Then I set a ladder on the front porch to gain some height.
I attempted this back on Dec 22 but I’m happier with these results.
Saturday, February 13, 2010
Friday, February 12, 2010
Thursday, February 11, 2010
It snowed for 23 consecutive hours and I ended up with 15 inches (38cm) of wet heavy snow.
A view from the ground looking at the walkway pavers and the wall of snow
The wind chimes taken at 1:30am, shortly after it stopped snowing– these were a recent 365 subject
A lonely pine tree across from the Post Office
A Rose-of-Shannon in my yard. I like the way the snow sticks to it
Icicles forming on the bush
Our Zen Garden, updated from yesterday
Maple tree in the front yard – also updated from yesterday
A lone leaf I found in the snow
The bird feeders. They’ll need to find an alternate food source for the foreseeable future.
This is what happens when you leave your car on the street and the plow comes. I suspect we won’t see the car again until May.
The lanterns around my front walkway
Wednesday, February 10, 2010
It’s been snowing for 21 hours and we have over a foot (30+cm) of the very heavy, wet stuff. I took about a dozen photos today and had trouble with the white balance on most of them, which forced me to perform some editing. I know to slightly underexpose my snow shots but this is the first time I ended up with cool (blue) snow.
Tuesday, February 9, 2010
Monday, February 8, 2010
Sunday, February 7, 2010
Saturday, February 6, 2010
Friday, February 5, 2010
Thursday, February 4, 2010
NYC taxi’s have a notorious reputation of being reckless, dishonest, and having a lead foot. The title of this post is a quote from the movie Elf, staring Will Ferrell as Buddy. Additionally, this is my follow-up to post 342 (Panning).
Wednesday, February 3, 2010
Tuesday, February 2, 2010
Maybe I should have titled it “Practice” because this is trash. Even sadder is the fact that this is the best of a bad lot. I clearly muffed the timing because the taxi was supposed to be clear and sharp. Among the many mistakes I made with this photo was believing the 3” display on the back of the camera. I’ll have plenty of opportunity to redo this one.